3rd International Workshop on Vocal Interactivity in-and-between Humans, Animals and Robots (VIHAR-2021)
13th-15th October 2021
Paris, France (Virtual Only)
VIHAR-2021 is the third international workshop on Vocal Interactivity in-and-between Humans, Animals and Robots. Taking place virtually in Paris, France (online only) on 13-15 October 2021, VIHAR-2021 aims to bring together researchers studying vocal-based interaction in-and-between humans, animals and robots from a variety of different fields. This includes speech, animal vocalisations or other acoustic interaction. VIHAR-2021 will provide an opportunity to share and discuss theoretical insights, best practices, tools and methodologies, and to identify common principles underpinning vocal behaviour in a multi-disciplinary environment.
The registration is free but mandatory.
The workshop follows the success of previous International workshops on Vocal Interactivity in-and-between Humans, Animals and Robots (VIHAR-2017 and VIHAR-2019).
We invite original submissions of abstracts in all areas of vocal interactivity. Suggested workshop topics may include, but are not limited to the following areas:
* Physiological and morphological comparisons between vocal systems in animals
* Properties and functions of animal signals
* Evolution of vocal interactivity
* Vocal imitation and learning
* Conveyance of emotion
* Comparative analyses of human and animal vocalisations
* Use of vocalisation
* Vocal interactivity between non-conspecifics
* Spoken language systems
* Technology-based research methods
* Vocal interaction with robots
To present your work/ideas at VIHAR you will need to submit:
• Authors (and institutional affiliations)
• Abstract (max 500 words; you are also encouraged to include one image/diagram)
• One sentence stating the relevance to VIHAR
• Does this work relate to: Humans? Animals? Robots? (Multiple selections are certainly permitted!)
The number of proposals from each presenter (“first author”) is limited to two. The number of proposals that a co-author can be involved in is limited to five.
A panel of experts will curate the submissions in order to ensure they belong to the scope of the workshop.
A compilation of the abstracts will be published online on the workshop website in the form of abstracts-only proceedings.
The authors will have the opportunity to submit papers to special issue organized in a journal after the VIHAR workshop.
– Submission deadline – 1st Sep. 2021 8th Sep 2021
– Notification of acceptance – 22nd Sep 2021
– Workshop – 13th-15th October 2021 (Virtual)
– Mohamed Chetouani, Sorbonne Universite, ISIR, CNRS
– Dan Stowell, Tilburg University / Naturalis Biodiversity Centre
– Angela Dassow, Carthage College
– Ricard Marxer, Université de Toulon, Aix Marseille Univ, CNRS, LIS
– Roger K. Moore, University of Sheffield
– Elodie Briefer, University of Copenhagen
– Nicolas Obin, IRCAM / Sorbonne University
If you wish to join the VIHAR community, please subscribe to our mailing list by entering your e-mail address at http://www.freelists.org/list/vihar and then responding to the confirmation e-mail that you will receive from the list server.
Please forward this call to anyone who you think might be interested in contributing/attending.